Brief Description: This project has been designed to develop national capacities in delivering the objectives and priorities of the National Spatial Strategy (NSS) as part of the mandate of the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs (MOMRA). The overall national directions dictated by the Ninth Development Plan (2010-2014), with specific emphasis on balanced regional development, diversification of the economic base and enhancement of the competitive capacities, are taken into consideration in the formulation of the outputs to be achieved by the completion of the project.
The present 2-year project (for 2015-2016) is expected to deliver the following five outputs:
1) Capacity development programme designed and delivered for full-fledged implementation of the NSS;
2) The National Urban Observatory Network empowered through a series of thematic studies. It is expected that the so-called evidence-based urban planning becomes the norm in all urban centres around the Kingdom;
3) The social dimension of urban planning explored to inform policy formulation and sectoral decision-making;
4) Measurements of progress in the achievement of the NSS objectives designed, applied and updated by all sectors. This involves establishment of a database, integrating spatial data with sectoral variables; and
5) Advisory services provided to the Government in conducting relevant urban planning studies.
Urban Planning and Management Project Document