What is the Project about
This project is designed to provide advisory services and logistical support to the Government in its implementation of Saudi Future Cities Programme in collaboration with UN-Habitat. A thorough analysis will set the stage by focusing on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and their implications for the urban work in Saudi Arabia with emphasis on the Goal II: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
The recently launched Saudi Vision 2030 embraced an ambitious target of having three Saudi cities being recognized among the top-ranked 100 cities in the world. This target would necessarily require a strong urban management in support of the Saudi Future Cities Programme. Achieving this goal will be considered in terms of creating the necessary capacities at the three layers of the individual training, institutional foundation for effective and efficient delivery of results, and the creation of the enabling environment.
- Capacity development for robust enabling environment towards effective implementation of the Saudi Future Cities Programme;
- Advisory services for the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs (MOMRA) in terms of conducting three thematic studies with the overall objective of measuring progress towards achievement of relevant SDG targets and their respective indicators; and
- Support Saudi Arabia representations in the international and regional fora relevant to the urban planning and urban policy, including a set of partnerships to be forged with well-established international institutions.
- Provision of advisory and logistical support in the process of completing the City Prosperity Index (CPI) for 17 cities around Saudi Arabia.
- Policies to promote urbanization management at the strategic and operational levels across regions were formulated and implemented.