What Is the Project About?
In view of the escalating strong affiliations to various sports fan clubs and especially demonstrations of violence during and after football matches, which is considered in Saudi Arabia as trend that needs to be addressed from a social harmony and cohesion point of view. King Abdulaziz Center for National Dialogue in partnership with UNDP is developing indicators to help the Centre better formulate strategies to enhance national cohesion and social harmony focusing on youth. This project aims, through three phases, to develop three sets of indicators, in a participatory manner, to gauge the phenomenon of increased sports fanaticism and prepare a plan of action with various stakeholders to enhance national dialogue and cohesion amongst youths. This initiative supports the achievement of Saudi Vision 2030 and SDGs especially goal 16.
King Abdulaziz Center for National Dialogue aims to strengthen national unity and protect the fabric of the Saudi community by consolidating the values of diversity, coexistence and national cohesion. The Center does so by establishing a culture of dialogue and disseminating it among all members of society to achieve the public interest and maintain national unity through a number of objectives:
· Discuss national issues of social, cultural, political, economic, educational and other aspects, and channel this through intellectual dialogue and mechanisms;
· Encourage community members and civil society organizations to contribute and participate in national dialogue;
· Contribute to the formulation of the proper Islamic discourse based on moderation;
· Contribute to the creation of an environment conducive to a culture of dialogue within society;
· Develop strategic visions on a variety of relevant topics.