Capacity Development For Sustainable Development and Management Of Water Resources
What is the project about
The Saudi government made strong commitment to support long term and sustainable development of freshwater resources against challenges of increasing demand, potential water quality deterioration, limited availability and future impacts of climatic change at all levels. To cater the above challenges, the government adopted rational approach to utilize groundwater resources by controlling aquifer development, well licensing and drilling, agriculture policy modification, production of non-conventional water resources, fully utilization of surface water resources and effective water conservation and efficient demand management. The objective of this Project is to strengthen the technical and organizational capacities of MOWE in sustainable development and management of the Kingdom’s water resources. This project shall also support the progressive development of a comprehensive water management system for the purpose of undertaking strategic water resources planning and management, and develop and strengthen a basis for efficient water administration and enforcement.
- Strengthening the technical and organizational capacities of the MOWE in sustainable development and management of Kingdom’s water resources
- Develop comprehensive evaluation of water resources (surface and groundwater) in terms of recharge, springs, groundwater, surface water, treated wastewater and desalinated water.
- Develop integrated water resources strategic plans (IWRM) for sustainable development of available water resources for domestic, agricultural and industrial users
- Develop working plan to assess and evaluate the impacts of over-exploitation, climatic change, and potential seawater intrusion and groundwater pollutions.
- Supporting the progressive development of a comprehensive groundwater information management center for undertaking strategic water resources planning and management.
- Water resources assessment, monitoring and evaluation for sustainable management.
- Develop and strengthen efficient water administration and enforcement.
What have we accomplished so far?
Although the project is ongoing, it has already achieved several objectives that include, the recruitment of international experts that assisted in the improvement of the project and updating the National Water Strategy (NWS) that included new estimations of availability of water from all sources (groundwater, surface water, and desalination).
Additionally, it managed to initiate coordination with the Ministry of Municipalities and Rural Affairs (MoWE-MoMRA) to institutionalize a joint strategic planning group that would prepare a blueprint for ensuring a reliable and economically feasible water supply solution for all areas of the Kingdom.